Search Engine Optimization is the process or practice of designing web pages so that they rank as high as possible in search results from search engines. Typically, the earlier (or higher) a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine.
Optimizing a website primarily involves editing its content and HTML and associated coding to both increase its relevance to specific keywords and to remove the barriers to the indexing activities of search engines.
You may also like the following articles:
Steps to Follow for Better SEO
A partial list of some important steps that should be followed for better search engine optimization is given below
- Try to get an old domain name. Also make sure that it should not be in blacklist during purchase or anytime in the past.
- Design your site by keeping in mind of your target audience and not the search engines.
- Research extensively to choose your main target keywords. Any mistake or ignorance may lead to unrelated traffic that further may become the major cause of high bounce rate.
- Design and categorize your site architecture and navigation based on your keyword research so that people can find their interesting stuff easily.
- Carefully build the page title and other important meta tags information by incorporating your target keywords into them.
- Make titles and contents of each page unique. Duplicacy of contents or pages may result in lower SEO ranking.
- Validate the contents of your website against industry standards (e.g. W3C validation). Also be sure that there should not be any broken or dead links present on your site.
- Make the navigation of your site crawler friendly so that the search spiders can travel and index them easily.
- Create a sitemap so that visitors and search engines can visit different parts of your website in an easy way.
While the above described steps are not a complete list but may be considered helpful in understanding the basics of SEO. You may consider hiring a SEO specialist to make your site well optimized from SEO point of view.
To check the status of your website, use Free SEO & Web Tools